12.02.2011

"Hope is the thing with feathers..."

Today I put out my newest angel, Hope. I'm not sure she's strictly a Christmas angel so you may see her around at other times, too. Something about this scene reminds me of the Island of Misfit Toys. Probably Hope's hair. And her eyes. And her hands.
Rudolph is the definitive Holiday Classic of my childhood. The Burl Ives snowman is conflated in my mind with my paternal grandfather. Sometimes my memories of GranDad talking about sports or the news are voiced by Burl Ives. Weird, I know, but I'll bet you have interesting mashups in your head, too. 

If you are observant, you may notice cut paper snowflakes in the top center and right of Hope's photo. Those are decorations lovingly and laboriously created with great patience and an eye for detail by my Baby Girl a few years back. I saved the red reindeer container for future use, and I also saved the snowflakes. 

The future is now. 

The snowflakes are suspended all over our ceiling and they really dress the place up. Thank you, Baby Girl.

The title of this post comes from a poem by Emily Dickinson.

Happy December 2
Only 23 days until Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment