9.19.2010

The Strength of Ancient Inca Warriors

Quinoa is a little bitty seed. It looks like birdseed or millet, but it is cooked in the same way you would cook rice. Proportions 2:1. Two cups of cold water to which you add 1 cup of dry quinoa. Bring it to a boil. Cover. Turn off the heat and let sit for 20 minutes. The little circular spiral germ will separate from the slightly swollen seed.

I love quinoa as hot cereal for breakfast. Add a splash of maple syrup and raisins. Yum Yum!

Next day I mix cold leftovers with blueberry yogurt. Delicious!

A great alternative to steel-cut oats, which I still enjoy, but I do not love as much as love quinoa.

Mr. Last brought my new love into my life a year or so ago, but neither of us can remember exactly the genesis of the introduction. No worries.

The best part of quinoa for breakfast is I feel I have the strength of an ancient Inca warrior all morning long.

Yesterday I was attracted to the beautiful cover of a discarded Americas magazine at the public library:

It is a publication full of beautiful photographs and I was delighted to find a fabulous article on quinoa. Unfortunately, their website does not link to the article and I cannot republish here without permission or violation of copyright, but I will retain my hard copy of the article, if not the entire magazine. So if you are interested, let me know and I will lend you my copy.

Or, look for quinoa on the shelf at the grocery store (Winco sells it in bulk). And you too can experience having the strength of an ancient Inca warrior.

No comments:

Post a Comment