7.23.2010

Like a Circle in a Spiral...

This is Wyoming. Do you see what I see?
Yes. Raindrops on the windshield. And...

Windmills! with a rainbow!

I love to watch them turn. Let's watch them together 
for a minute, shall we?


Like a clock whose hands are sweeping
Past the minutes on its face
And the world is like an apple
Whirling silently in space
Like the circles that you find
In the windmills of your mind

The Windmills of Your Mind by Michel Legrand, is an exquisite piece of music originally released in 1969. A version was more recently recorded by Sting that gets some radio play.

My parents often played an 8-track tape recording of Michel Legrand in rotation with Jim Croce and John Denver and Neil Diamond when I was a girl, so I absorbed some beautiful melodies that tend to rise to the surface unbidden sometimes. 

I often hear Windmills of Your Mind in my head when I spot the wind turbines on Tehachapi, or Altamont Pass, or behind the Suisun marsh, or in Spanish Fork Canyon, and now on the sagebrush prairie of Wyoming. 

No comments:

Post a Comment