2.22.2010

Cherry Cheesecake? Mais Oui!

The ineffable pleasures of this past rainy weekend for me included a little bit of this:

and a little bit of that:


I enjoy a little history with my cheesecake, so Mr. Last and I watched the PBS production of Empire: Napoleon and it was quite an exciting drama that filled in some of the rather gaping holes in my knowledge of European history.

And in keeping with my experience that everything is connected, this followed on the heels of watching Jim Caviezel as Edmond Dantes in The Count of Monte Cristo just last weekend:


The connection here is that the entirely fictional Edmond Dantes is cruelly and unjustly imprisoned on an island for years because he was accused of being a traitor to France and a "Bonapartist" before he escapes from his island prison and remakes himself as the Count of Monte Cristo. Whereas the actual, factual, one-time Emperor of France and aspiring Emperor of the World, Napoleon Bonaparte was born on the island of Corsica and died a prisoner on the island of St. Helena. And his life between being born on one island and dying on the other seems like a made-up adventure story but it really happened.

Of course the more important connection is that I could have enjoyed my cheesecake with a side of beefcake if I'd planned better. Perhaps next weekend I'll continue the French adventure with the Three Musketeers. Ooo la la!

No comments:

Post a Comment